SharePoint 2010: Howto configure Business Data Connectivity access rights

By | April 11, 2010

English

You may encounter “Access denied by Business Data Connectivity” error when trying to access External List. The reason is because External List requires External Content type ; and External Content type is using Business Data Connectivity services proxy to access external Data Source. With the same principle of BDC in MOSS 2007 – users are required to have BDC Object permission before they can use it.  There are several set of permission available for the BDC object:

– Edit
– Execute
– Selectable in Clients
– Set Permissions

How to configure the BDC access rights?

1. Open Central Administration page, and click on Manage service application.

SPS2010_BDC-0012

2. Click on Business Data Connectivity Service

SPS2010_BDC-0013

3. Open the context menu of the External Content type (ie. External CT in this example). Click on Set permissions.

SPS2010_BDC-0014

4. Add account (Group, or User) and assign the permissions.

SPS2010_BDC-0015

5. Set appropriate permission to the BDC object. Remember that BDC object permission rules the interaction between user and external data source through BDC object. It doesn’t rules his/her permission accessing Forms in the list (New / Edit / Delete  form).

SPS2010_BDC-0016

25 thoughts on “SharePoint 2010: Howto configure Business Data Connectivity access rights

1. Meik

Thanks!
    Great Blog-Entry which helps me a lot

2. steve

Thanks for this – I received this error today and did not know about this fix – so thanks for the clear screenshots!

3. gigi

Hi,

I got the “Access denied by Business Data Connectivity” error while trying to set up an external Content type. So I do not have an external Content type where I can set the permissions. How do I handel this situation?

Thank you!

4. Tareq

Thanks alot man, that help me alot,
    I was accessing the central administration using https://
    when I used the http:// it works fine.

5. paras

very nice work …………!!!1 owesome it saved my lot of time
    GO to 1>centeral admin 2> then click on setObjectPermissions 3>select users rights 4> then ADD 5>ok then done
    quite easy………. thanx

6. Srinivasan

Thanks.. Today I got this error. Your article was very useful. Thanks again

7. Nishigandha Darade

Thnx for gr8 article..
    i solved my problem..

8. Nimisha C

Hi
    Your article was so helpful. But still Iam getting an when I try to set permissions “An error occurred while trying to assign an Access Control List to ‘IEntity’ with name ‘BCS WorkFlow’. At least one user/group in the Access Control List must have the SetPermissions right to avoid creating a non-manageable object.”. What is the reason for that? Can you please tell….

9. Nimisha C

Hi
    I could make out the problem and solved it. Its because as like Performance PointBCS also uses your windows account for authentication and not your sharepoint site account.

10. Pingback: » SharePoint 2010: External Content Types for DBA’s

11. Judy

Thanks for the info. I’m in the process of learning SharePoint and your post was very helpful.

12. Sean

Nobody seems to mention about rights on the SQL Server Database.
    (Note: I am a server administrator and dbo.owner within the SQL Server)

I setup the External content type in Sharepoint Designer
    Then followed the procedure above and everything works for me.

However, now I want to set up a business user. When I do that it says logon failed for nt\annoyomous user.

13. Pingback: Business Connectivity Services « coldeveloper

14. Prem Chand

Hi,

I was reading your article and I would like to appreciate you for making it very simple and understandable. This article gives me a basic idea of Business Data Connectivity service in SharePoint 2010. Check out this link too its also having a wonderful post on business data connectivity services in sharepoint……

Thank you very much!

15. Joe

Hi,

I haven't Business data connectivity service.
    How can i do in order to enable it?

Thank you in advance for any answer.

16. Mustafa

There are currently no external content types
    But when i click on Business data connectivity service, I don't find my external content type. How i find my external content type and set permissions on it.

17. dhiraj

Hello is it possible to fetch BCS data in infopath.

1. cakriwut Post author

I never try to fetch BCS data in InfoPath.
      However, I can use BCS data as external content types for my list and use InfoPath to retrieve the list.

-Riwut-