This month I build an entirely new large SharePoint 2016 farm. In order to streamline the installation and receive last patches, I slipstreamed the SharePoint installer with the latest KB4011680 (February 13,2018 CU) (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4011680) . If you are not aware about slipstreaming SharePoint installation, basically you are extracting all SharePoint’s patches to Updates folder of the installer. In order to do that, you must extract the SharePoint installation distribution file (ISO/IMG) to local folder. More about slipstreaming, please read this article – https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ronalg/2016/11/14/sharepoint-2016-slipstreaming-pus-andor-feature-pack-1/
Everything seems perfect, until when I checked the Upgrade status in Central Administration. In one of the server it shows “Upgrade Available“. I scratch my head, since I believe that all servers were installed using same installer. As a standard procedure, I issued command to upgrade in that server:
Psconfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force -cmd installfeatures -cmd secure resources -cmd applicationcontent
The command went through without exception, but the status “Upgrade Available” is still displayed.
I planned to remove the server from the farm. Since this server also hosts Central Administrator, first I have to move the Central Administrator to different server and modify Central Administrator’s alternate access mapping. While moving the Central Administrator to new server, I realized that the status “Upgrade Available” is attached to the server hosting main Central Administrator site.
This leads me to the next action, to check Central Administrator’s content database. I browse to Manage Content Databases. In the web application menu, I select SharePoint Central Administration v4, and I select SharePoint admin content database. Here that I found in the Database Schema version:
Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Database.Extension.Upgrade.PDEUpgradeSequence Current Schema Version:4.0.0, Maximum Schema Version: 16.1xxxxx
Strange enough, that this issue happened in a brand-new SharePoint farm. Since PSConfig doesn’t help, I decide to use Powershell script to upgrade the content database. I use following command:
Get-SPWebApplication [Central Administration URL] | Get-SPContentDatabase | Upgrade-SPContentDatabase
Now everything, ok. No more red status in the farm.